I'll be leaving for the airport in 2-3 hours!!! I have three flights between here and Ghana: Cleveland -> Detroit -> Amsterdam -> Accra. The first plane leaves at 7:06 TONIGHT!! Woohoo!! I should be arriving in Accra around 7:30 PM tomorrow (Ghana time, which is 5 hours ahead of the Eastern time zone).
Before too long I'll be taking classes at the University of Ghana at Legon!!!!!!!!
I still have no idea where I'll be living or where my internship will be - I'll find out during orientation (this weekend/next week). I requested to live in a homestay, but if I'm not placed in one I'll live in the dorms. For my internship I requested a position at the Liberian refugee camp outside of Accra, but my placement really could be just about anywhere.
I will definitely update this blog as much as possible once I get moved in and settled down with a schedule. Here is some interesting Ghana trivia:
- capital city: Accra, population 2 million
- currency: Cedi ("see-dee")
- had been under several colonial rules (first Portuguese) and gained independence from the British in 1957; historically the country was known as Ghana, but the name was changed to The Gold Coast under colonial powers; returned to historic name of Ghana upon reclaiming independence
- famous Ghanaians: Kofi Annan (former Secretary-General to the U.N.) and Fredi Adu (former DC United soccer player)!!
- current average temperatures: 70s and 80s (which is about a zillion degrees warmer than Cleveland right now, heh heh heh)
- neighboring countries: Cote d'Ivoire (west), Burkina Faso (north), Togo (east)
Yayyy!!!!!
Now I should go finish packing . . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Kristen,
It's great that you'll be blogging during your semester in Ghanna. I look forward to hearing all about it! I hope you have a pleasant flight. When Lee and I went to Tanzania, we could see the Nile River and the Sahara Desert from our plane window.
Love ya!
Laura
We will look forward to your Blogs. (your Dad forgot what came next?) I will not give you any advise, after all your are an adult and have always done it "your way". Stay safe. Love you and TOFAR S&P
J'étais très touchée que tu aies trouvé le temps de venir me voir avant ton départ. Je suis maintenant impatiente de faire ce voyage avec toi à travers ton blogue; merci de partager cette formidable aventure avec nous!
Mme G.
Kristen,
It will be a great trip and adventure! Know we will be keeping up with you through your blog site! Have fun and take lots of pictures!
Love, Uncle Dale & Aunt Linda
Well, I'm reading this during your flight from Amsterdam to Accra. We're all so proud of you and are hoping that this is just the beginning of a lifetime of new adventures for you. Love you lots... Mom
Kristen: Your mom let me know that you'd arrived safely and were settling in to the dorm -- so we prayed for you yesterday at Disciples Christian.
My prayers and God's blessings for your new adventure. I'm glad you're blogging about it!
Kris Eggert
Jealous! Keep this up and keep us lowly commoners updated on your travels around the world!!! I'll tell you all about the wonders of AU and its craziness.....beginning with the fact that there will be 4,000 police officers on campus on Tuesday. haha for a swearing in ceremony. students are going to FREAK out
ttyl
Rachael
We are thinking of you. Dale & Linda are here in Kansas visiting with us....and we have been talking about you and hoping you're having a great time! Always neat to hear from you and enjoy every minute in Ghana.
We love you!
Grandmother & Grandfather
This is the first time I have have ever read a blog. It is so cool to keep up with you while you are far away. I'm very jealous I wish I could have done something like this when I was your age.
I told a friend of mine about your adventure because she has a Girl Scout troop that is leading World Thinking Day for the local service unit and her troop is doing Ghanna and focusing on health care and prevention of deceases as malaria.
I was going to see if you had any pictures you could send but, sounds like that maybe a while.
Anyway I better go fix dinner we miss you, stay safe, and keep bogging. I'll keep reading.
Much love,
Valerie Crowley
Sounds like you're having a great time! Know we will be anxious to hear about the trip and see the pictures! We miss you!
Love, Uncle Dale & Aunt Linda
Kristen, we are enjoying your blog so much. This modern technology is marvelous.I appreciated your phone call on my birthday so much. Granddad and I are so happy that you are enjoying your semester in Africa. I know the time is flying by, but know we love you and have you in our thoughts and prayers.
P.S. this is the first time I have tried to blog and it is fun. Love Grsndmother
Post a Comment