Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weekend in Ho

The past few days have been awesome! CIEE took us to Ho for the weekend. We saw Wli Waterfall on Saturday. The falls, estimated to be the highest in West Africa, are in eastern Ghana very close to the border with Togo. It took about a 45 minute hike to get to the falls, and we were able to swim underneath them for a while. The water was REALLY cold, but considering everything else in Ghana is always ridiculously hot, it was amazing. On Sunday we went to Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary, walked around for a bit, and got to feed bananas to monkeys! I think this was my favorite CIEE-sponsored trip thus far - it was the perfect way to relax before exams begin.

Yesterday I ran errands all over the city with Sarah. I was picking up gifts for people and getting visas for upcoming trips. The semester is winding down really quickly. I have my first exam today and another one on Saturday. I don't have another one till the 13th of May so I'm going to go on a long trip for a few weeks. I still don't have the exact itinerary all planned out, but I'm leaving next Tuesday with a few friends. We're going to see Togo and Benin together, then they will come home for an exam while I go visit a friend in the Peace Corps in Togo, and we'll all meet up again in Burkina Faso for a few days. I realized yesterday this means out of my time left in Africa, I actually will spend less time in Ghana than in other surrounding countries. That's a really scary thought! It's weird enough to leave DC for the summer and not see most of my friends for 3 months . . . I've just started to think about what it will be like to leave Ghana, knowing it will be several years before I see these friends again, if ever.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh man, your trip = badass.